Thursday, May 5, 2011

Good Riddance

Osama Bin Laden....the alleged mastermind of 9-11 and mass murderer of thousands has finally been taken to task. Taken to task, is too light a sentence to describe the events. He has been shot dead by none other than soldier's from his sworn nemesis, USA.

I had been nonchalantly playing Farmville on Facebook, when I got a whiff of the news when my good friend Prem, posted the news that Osama has been hunted down. I immediately turned on the TV and got hooked to the news channels. I stayed back for an hour at home listening to President Barack Obama's speech. Damn!!! office beckoned and I reluctantly had to turn off the idiot box to come to office.

Later in the evening, I remembered my grandfather and his words echoed in my head. He had been there when Hitler was found dead in his bunker. When the news papers reported about Hitler's death, people in India too had felt a sense of relief. Though the overwhelming majority of India had a soft corner for Hitler as a man and not his Nazi party and the tactics they applied. The soft corner was simply because he was the man who had the guts to kick the butts of the mighty British Empire and Indians nurtured the thought that irrespective of who wins the great war, England will be too weak to hold on to India post the war and Indians would definitely win their independence.


My grand father used to say that immediately post Hitler's death the news papers were filled with conspiracy theories about Hitler doing a Houdini and escaping into thin air and thereby the trail the Allied forces had been following  turned cold. Nevertheless, let Hitler be gone, the day these days belongs to Osama Bin Laden. I could feel the sense of happiness by grandfather would have felt when Hitler died.

I would say good riddance.

Incidental Hitler is alleged to have died somewhere on first week of May (30 - April - 1945 or 1- May - 1945) and so did Bin Laden (2 - May - 2011).


No comments:

Post a Comment