Thursday, October 13, 2011

MTV Unplugged


The term Unplugged has become a term used to describe music usually heard on amplified instruments such as electric guitar and synthesizer that is rendered instead on instruments that are not electronically amplified, for example acoustic guitar or traditional piano, although a microphone is still used. In otherwords songs that are not distorted and are unplugged from the amplifiers to make it acoustic. Many artists use unplugged songs in concerts and to show that they can do different versions of songs and showcase their tallents.

My first tryst with Unplugged music was a recording of the original Unplugged series on MTV showing Nirvana. Kurt Cobain with his mysterious eyes and the accoustic guitar in his hand...doled out magic......It was heavenly music.....I always have copy of that edition in my mobile or mp3 player even today.....

Recently MTV started an Unplugged edition in India. Initially I had been sceptical about it...I mean I could not think of what Indian songs would sound unplugged...because the difference was glaringly stark when rock music like that of Nirvana's was heard as unplugged. Anyways..me being me...I missed the first episode of MTV Micromax Unplugged...it had featured the Sufi/Punjabi music star Rabbi Shergill.....I remembered all about the show, when on the next day I read a friend praising about the songs on where else but Facebook.

Still sceptical, I decided to check out the songs on Youtube...Boy was I in for a surprise.....the music sounded so...so....I am not getting a word...hmm....let me put it that the music sounded pristine....and Rabbi's voice sounded mesmerizing....I was hooked onto it....instantly.....instant addiction.....

The second episode came on MTV last week and starred Mohit Chauhan...and I enjoyed it immensely again....notwithstanding the fact that I am a fan of Mohit.....but I would say that his performance compared quiet well with that of Rabbi...Rabbi is no doubt in a class of his own....a pedestal very few can reach...but Mohit did pretty well.....

I have decided to cancel all plans for any Saturday evenings and never again miss a episode..of MTV Unplugged.....Looking forward to the episode this Saturday....Guess who is coming on this weekend....None other than the Delhi based Indian Ocean.....one of India's finest rock bands...... They are considered to be the pioneers of fusion rock genre in India. I had been to a live performance of Indian Ocean during my college days....it had been an experience I can never forget....Grass was available for free.....there was no one in the audience who was not on a high.....those with an aversion for grass had alcohol.....No one can deny the fact....grass and rock music equals heaven.....lolz....(those were the days.....)

Thank you MTV for launching this series...the music is show refreshing...Unplugged gives the human voice the respect it deserves instead of undermining it with a music from amplifiers....what say???

No comments:

Post a Comment